Because admission to Sandia Prep is competitive, it's best to start the application process early. In fact, the process begins a full year before your child would start their first semester at Sandia Prep.
Thank you for your interest in applying to Sandia Prep. Our online application for the 2022 - 2023 school year is now closed. However, if you would like to submit a late-wave application for the 2022 - 2023 school year, please contact the Sandia Prep Admission Office at [email protected] or 505.338.3007.
Multiple testing dates are offered throughout the year. Families can sign up for a test date via our admission portal.
Sandia Prep uses STAR Assessments for admission testing that will be taken and proctored remotely. The test is nationally standardized and will assess a student’s level in math and reading comprehension. Please encourage your child to do their very best, but don’t sweat the test. We are looking to see that applicants are at grade level in each area. It would be unusual for a student to get every answer correct. Students should leave perfectionism at the door and focus on answering according to their current knowledge and understanding.
Students must keep their camera on at all times during the test. We ask that an adult be available during the testing time to help your child log in and to assist with any technical issues. Adults are not allowed to help answer test questions. Scratch paper and pencil may be used during the math portion to work out problems. Students may not use calculators or other reference materials during the test. Please note: The software requires the test to be taken on a desktop or laptop computer. iPads and smartphones will not work.
The admission test for all grade levels consists of a reading comprehension section and a math section (approximately 30 minutes per section), both multiple-choice.
The best way to prepare for the reading comprehension is simply to read, read, and read some more! Critical reading, logical thinking, and dynamic writing compose the heart of our English Department’s mission, and strong reading comprehension skills are essential.
We’re frequently asked, "What material is covered on the mathematics test?" The simple answer is: The concepts being taught in your child's current math curriculum. Because of this, the mathematics department at Sandia Preparatory School suggests that no extra practice or review is necessary before taking our admission test. See below for more detailed information on the math test.
The math portion of the admission test covers material from past, present, and possibly future mathematics studies that your child has been or will be exposed to. A few questions are placed on each test to indicate to us if further investigation, upon acceptance to the school, is required to appropriately place your child within our mathematics curriculum. The format for each test is multiple-choice with a time limit of 30 minutes for the Sixth Grade test and 40 minutes for the Seventh/Eighth grade, Ninth/Tenth grade, and Eleventh/Twelfth-grade tests. Calculators may be used only on the Eleventh/Twelfth-grade test.
Below is a list of the major topics contained within each math test. They are presented strictly as a guideline for what might appear on the test. The admission test is just one tool that we use to gain some insight into your child's knowledge base, and it is only a piece of the evaluation process for acceptance to Sandia Preparatory School.
Sixth Grade Admission Math Test for Current Fifth-Grade Students
The basic four operations (+,-, ×,÷) using the following types of numbers:
- Whole numbers up to three digits
- Fractions with like and unlike denominators as well as proper and improper fractions
- Correct use of units
- Money problems
- Finding the average of numbers
- Place value
- Ratios or proportions
- Understanding simple charts or graphs
- Finding the greatest common factor and least common multiple
Seventh/Eighth-Grade Admission Math Test for Current Sixth and Seventh-Grade Students
Topics listed in the above guide for our sixth-grade admission test as well as:
- Basic geometry: types of triangles, right triangle knowledge, area/perimeter, formulas for triangles, squares, and rectangles, area formula for circles, diameter and radius relationship, and Pythagorean Theorem.
- Percentages and averages
- Distributive property
- Fraction/decimal conversions
- Finding a value for an expression using substitution
- Basic concept of probabilities
- Solving one- and two-step equations
- Recognizing patterns when dealing with a list of numbers
Ninth/Tenth-Grade Admission Math Test for Current Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1 Students
Topics listed in the above guide for our seventh/eighth-grade admission test, as well as:
- Finding and using least common denominators
- Basic statistical concepts such as reading and interpreting data from charts and graphs, finding means, modes, and medians for a group of numbers
- Working with inequalities
- Solving multi-step algebraic equations
- Reducing algebraic expressions
- Lines: graphing and equation
Eleventh/Twelfth-Grade Admission Math Test for Current Algebra II, Geometry, or Pre-Calculus Students
Topics listed in the above guide for our Ninth/Tenth-Grade admission test, as well as:
- Pre-algebra/elementary algebra: knowledge of whole numbers, decimals, integers, fractions, linear equations, algebraic equations, and your ability to solve a quadratic equation
- Intermediate algebra/coordinate geometry: graphing in the coordinate plane, operations with integer exponents, radical and rational expressions, the quadratic formula, linear inequalities in one variable, and systems of two linear equations in two variables.
- Plane geometry/trigonometry: knowledge of the properties and relations of figures on the geometric plane, right triangle trigonometry, graphing trigonometric functions, and basic trigonometric identities.
Student Visit Day
Join us for an optional in-session campus tour while your child is attending their visit day. Comprehensive tours are offered 8:15 - 9:30 a.m. on student visit days, and advance reservations are not required. If you would like to join on a day other than your child's visit, please contact our office at 505.338.3007 or [email protected].
Self-Guided Virtual Tour
View maps and videos to virtually tour our campus here.
Guided, Personalized Virtual Tour
Please contact our Admission Events Coordinator at [email protected]
Questions? Please contact our Admission Office at [email protected] or 505.338.3007.
Tuition and Tuition Assistance
In order to help you determine the cost for your student to attend Sandia Prep, we have provided the following schedule of 2022 - 2023 fees here.