The Grace Fund
In 2015, four months into his job as Sandia Prep’s new Head of School, Bill Sinfield and his wife Brenda faced the unbearable loss of their daughter Grace, killed on a celebratory November evening by a drunk driver.
Plunged into a grief beyond words, Bill had a choice to make. What he did next represented an act of heroism and faith that went well beyond what anyone thought was possible. Through his darkest night, Bill showed our community that no matter the circumstance, we always have a choice about how we respond to pain and loss.
Not only did Bill come back to work as soon as he was able, but he also allowed himself to be loved and buoyed by the overflowing compassion and care of the Sandia Prep community. He recognized this wellspring as uniquely tenacious, a community that was built with a mission to support others.
Despite his grief, Bill gracefully went about his charge to restore a sense of community and the financial health of Sandia Prep. Today, our School is flourishing and enjoys a culture familiar to generations of alumni and current families alike. It is now our turn to extend our gratitude for everything Bill and Brenda have done for our community.
A Lasting Legacy
Sandia Prep will honor Head of School Bill Sinfield’s retirement in June 2022 for the incredible cohesion and innovation he’s accomplished over his seven years at Prep.
The occasion will also achieve an unfinished personal goal that is near to Bill’s heart: To substantially grow The Grace Sinfield Scholarship Fund with $200,000 in new gifts and pledges. Once achieved, the balance of the endowed fund will be nearly $300,000, which will cover about $15,000 of qualified students' needs.
We invite you to recognize Bill’s ability to lead, inspire, learn, and collaborate through your philanthropic support of The Grace Sinfield Scholarship Fund. All donors will be recognized in the following ways:
- Permanent recognition on a bronze plaque installed prominently on an outdoor facade outside the Head of School’s office
- Donor listing in event program at Sandia Prep’s gala on April 23, 2022
- Listing in Sandia Prep’s 2021-2022 Annual Report
- Cleats for an upper school boys soccer player
- Food and travel expenses for a varsity dancer to attend a national dance team competition in Florida
- Mountain bike for a middle school student to compete on Prep’s new cycling team
- Emergency short-term tuition support for a family who lost their primary source of income mid-school year
Quick Facts about the Grace Fund
- The Grace Sinfield Scholarship Fund is a permanent endowment.
- Sandia Prep takes a three-year rolling average of 5% for an annual distribution from the Fund.
- Financial support is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and have excellent character.
- Teachers, advisors, coaches, and other school officials may nominate a student for financial assistance from the Fund on an as-needed basis.
- A committee, whose members include the Head of School, Assistant Heads of School, the Business Manager, and a representative from the Office of Admission and Enrollment, will determine recipients of financial awards.