We do education differently.
For more than 50 years Sandia Prep, an independent, private school, has offered Albuquerque’s families a distinctive choice when it comes to a college prep education. The college counseling process begins in the ninth grade, 100% of our seniors are accepted to four-year colleges, and our graduates attend prestigious colleges such as Harvard, Brown, Yale, Bowdoin, and the London School of Economics and Political Science.
While our academics and accomplishments set us apart from many schools in Albuquerque, there is more to us than grades, scholarships, and prestige.
Students are surrounded by experienced, enthusiastic teachers who are continually improving their craft. Teachers are expected to learn and develop their skills in today’s changing world of education.
We believe in one-on-one, individualized attention. This is why we maintain a 7:1 student:teacher ratio, with an average class size of 15.
Remarkable opportunities abound, not only academically, but also through programs that grow all aspects of a student’s passions and personality.
- Students develop leadership skills and confidence through our Outdoor Leadership Program
- 90% of students participate in Helping Hands, our voluntary community service program
- More than 75% of our students participate in at least one sport
- Each year middle and upper school students can participate in four full theater productions
- We are one SPS family, and parental involvement is not only welcomed, it is encouraged.
The future is walking through our hallways. We offer an excellent educational experience, while inspiring our students to discover their purposes in the world. The future goes to Sandia Prep.
- Why Sandia Prep?
- A+ Rating and Recognized as a Top Private High School in New Mexico
- How does Sandia Prep approach homework?
- How does Sandia Prep keep students safe?
- How does Sandia Prep address student health concerns?
- Does Sandia Prep provide transportation?
We are an independent, college preparatory school serving grades 6-12 in the Albuquerque area.
- 100% graduation rate with all grads accepted to college
- 7:1 student - teacher ratio
- Earned an A+ rating and recognized as a top private school in New Mexico
- Truly small class sizes with an average of 15 students per class
- Engineering & coding program
- Vast middle school arts and sports
- Recognized as one of the safest campuses in Albuquerque
- Comprehensive visual and performing arts at all grade levels
- No-cut athletics produce state champions
- Bus service to and from NE Heights & Westside
- More than a campus. We’re a community.
At Sandia Prep, homework is meant to be meaningful, not busy work. It may be used to reinforce skills learned in math or to venture into the next chapter of the class novel, but it is always an appropriate amount for the grade level of the student. Sixth-graders can expect about an hour of homework per night (more for long term projects). In addition to stellar academics, we want our students to participate in our incredible performing arts and athletic programs and to spend valuable time with their friends and family.
With our closed (locked) campus and a security staff that requires every visitor to be identified and given a badge, Sandia Prep has one of the safest campuses in the city. A recent campus-wide security audit gave Sandia Prep a superior rating.
Our Director of Safety is a retired Albuquerque police officer. We have two additional full-time security officers, as well as an Albuquerque Police Department liaison who visits several times a week and keeps us up to speed on best school safety practices, which include regular shelter-in-place drills. Security staff is on campus from 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. and on weekends, as needed. We work hard to keep our students, faculty, staff, and visitors safe and secure at all times.
We are fortunate to have Ms. Lynn Jeffries, a registered nurse with 25 years’ experience, on our campus full time. Ms. Jeffries has worked in neonatal, pediatric, and flight nursing, with both patient care and management. The Nurse's Office is centrally located next to the Main Office.
In addition to our school nurse, Sandia Prep has on staff Ms. Cathy Reed, a full time athletic trainer with more than 25 years of experience, as well as certified mental health counselor, Ms. Karen Lyall. As Director of Health and Counseling, Ms. Lyall provides individual support and oversees schoolwide student wellness initiatives.